My Photo
Name:
Location: Norway

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Christ has risen - Happy Easter.

After a long and nice breakfast, Terje and I went to church, our local Kolstad church. I know nothing better than celebrating Easter morning in church and to hear again the good news that Christ has risen. We read from Mathew today that Maria Magdalene and the other Maria came to the empty grave where they were met by an angel who asked them to go tell the world that Jesus was not dead any more, he was risen. Two women were asked to do this, to grieving, poor women, but rich and worth gold in the eyes of gold. It is special for me to read that God in this important time of history asked women to tell the good news. We are also asked today, men and women equally! God has risen, we are free to live as his human beings.

After the service we had coffee in the church and we sat together with a woman from Lebanon and her small daughter. She has lived in Norway for 18 years, but still try to celebrate Easter morning at least partly as she did back home in Lebanon. And she and her daughter had been up early to dye Easter eggs this morning. Marta and I did some dyeing at the cabin, using leaves to make pattern and red onion to make colour. The eggs got a beautiful violet colour.

Home from church the weather was so nice and Terje found our garden furnitura and made tea while I prepared the lamb (mutton?) steak for the oven. We just ate the steak, it was perfect, with the taste of garlic and rosemary. We had tea and a snack, and Marta did an egg hunt. In Norway we don't have Easter basket, but instead we use Easter aggs, colourful big eggs made by cardboard and filled with chocolate and sweets. The egg is a symbol of new life and therefore an important Easter symbol. Terje can't resist skiing as long as he can find snow, so he went up in the hills for some cross country skiing while I enjoyed my Henry James book and also one of my garden books, Tashe Tudor's Garden Book. I so much love her books, I can dream myself right into her world :-) And one day I would love my garden to look a tiny little bit like hers.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I have all my gardening books out too at the moment! They are so inspiring.
Today I have spent the whole day doing a little bit in the garden (clearing the greenhouse, cutting back a few plants) then coming in, sitting down, drinking tea and reading gardening books and magazines - just delightful!

I hope Tasha Tudor's book inspires you in your own garden, Britt-Arnhild!

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home