My Photo
Name:
Location: Norway

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Happy Birthday!

Our son #2 is 21 today. A milestone! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ØYSTEIN!

Being 21 means that you are not the first one up in the mornings, so dh went out skiing and Marta and I went downtown before coming home and present Øystein with his gifts and his favorite cake - "Napoleonskake".

At the Art Museum, Trøndelag Kunstforening there is an exhibition right now with paintings and drawing by Theodor Kittelsen, a late Norwegian painter most of all known for his fairy tale illustrations, and these were what Marta and I wanted to see. We both loved the visit. For me it was like being taken back to my childhood fairytale world, so many of his paintings has been used to illustrate the most well known Norwegian fairy tales, or "eventyr" as we call them in Norway. Marta knew a few of the pictures as well, and became very interested in them all. And when she watch art she doesn't only see the pictures itself, but she is also very interested in the different techniques used. (Which reminds me that I had planned to buy art supplies for her birthday tomorrow - and all I have bought is LOTS of stuff for her Bratz doll collection! Ha, so art supplies must be the Easter gift this year) After an hour in the galleries we spent another 20 minutes in the museum shop, buying postcards for our visual diaries, a poster for Marta's artist collection and a book about Kittelsen.

Besides painting and drawing Kittelsen also made some very good wood carvings. We loved many of them, especially all his different dragons, but both of us fell in love with a chess game he has made. I collect chess games, love to buy them when I travel, my last one was bought in Laos in October. The one made by Kittelsen, on the special chess table would have been perfect in my collection :-) But of course a picture is all I can get.

After a Saturday morning watching art, what is better than visiting our favorite Saturday morning café! The Library Café. A favorite because of it's delicious pastries, and different types of tea. And because it is in the same building as the public library in Trondheim. And after eating our feet always find their way to the library where there are so many great books to be borrowed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home